Saturday, January 24, 2015

Speaking Frankl-y, I Just Dont Get It


I still think about the quote from the book that states that “the last of human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way”. I think the definition of attitude is the way a person perceives and feels about a situation or circumstance and I truly don’t believe that this is something a person is able to chose. I think that a person’s attitude is innate and natural. It  cannot nor should it be manipulated. I think that the way a person chooses to act on their attitude is what should be regulated. A person should recognize how they feel and then decide from there how they will act based on it. The way they live their life (either according to or despite of their attitude) is what is influential and really important.

I also questions his logotherapy principal that the motivation for life is to find the meaning of it. Nathan brought up in class that maybe people don’t need a meaning to live their life by. I feel like this is a plausible argument in that maybe there is something in living ones life just because. I think that the idea of living each day just to live can be liberating and possibly, in a way, fulfilling. If you’re tied to one specific meaning, then maybe you're more open to life, what it has to offer and more readily to embrace it. 

I defiantly found meaning in many of the things stated in the book. Although, for some ideals and principles I question rather they are reasonable and applicable to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment