Saturday, September 13, 2014

Unexamined Life

Alice Walker wrote in the Color Purple “I think us here to wonder, myself. To wonder. To ask. And that in wondering bout the big things and asking bout the big things, you learn about the little ones, almost by accident. But you never know nothing more about the big things than you start out with. The more I wonder, the more I love.” I strongly identify with this quote and as a result agree that an unexamined life isn’t worth living. The examination of life in my opinion leads to revelations in the smaller components of life.

By wondering about or examining life, people can learn more about themselves and who they are. Evaluate their current lives and consider their future. Analyzing leads to purpose and meaning. In today's society, many people live their lives day by day, too consumed with their superficial problems. They are blissfully unaware that they aren’t actually living. I think that it is necessary to examine one’s life to see if it is actually being lived properly and productively.

Examination can also force you to rethink your beliefs and actions. Many times people just go with the flow, but no one ever thinks to question what's going on. Examination and the questioning of certain aspects of one’s life can lead a person to change; or to a stronger and assured confidence. 

              Without the questioning or confidence, I think people will be lost. Living lives that aren't up to their full potential. I don't think anyone will ever fully or successfully examine life or figure it out, but i think that in every one's pursuit to try to do so, they will learn a lot about themselves and the lives they’re living.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this and like that you tied in the concept of confidence in action and being. It was a word I hadn't thought to use in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. I like how you referenced the Color Purple, too. Even though I've never read/seen it, it made your viewpoint sound very nice and poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the quote you used, and I agree that questioning can help you finding in yourself and in life.

    ReplyDelete